Clean Diesel Truck Video Training
Welcome to this online course. In this series of videos, we will help take the mystery out of clean diesel engines so you can better understand your truck and maximize its potential.
Newer trucks have technologies to prevent diesel pollution. Diesel exhaust pollution impacts everyone – especially those who live, work and go to school near major roadways. Pollution from old diesel trucks can cause serious health problems such as asthma, heart disease, cancer and birth defects.
This video course will show you how to care for your clean diesel truck, avoid expensive repairs, and save money on fuel. The course is divided into seven videos.
ScRAPS DPF Cleaning Voucher Program
If you have replaced your truck with a 2007 or newer truck through the ScRAPS program, you may qualify for $500 towards a DPF cleaning. To qualify for the $500 you must watch the videos and complete the test at the bottom of this page. This offer is limited to the first 100 participants or until funding runs out.
1. Understanding Your Clean Diesel Truck
Understanding how your truck works can:
- Help end frustration
- Save money
2. Clean Diesel Trucks Are Different
Clean diesel trucks work differently than older trucks
- Idling damages the engine
- Dashboard lights can’t be ignored
- Leaks must be fixed immediately
- Ideal RPM is different
- Maintenance is more important
3. Your Truck’s Pollution Control Equipment
DPF System vs. DEF System
- In 2007 and newer engines
- Collects soot and ash
- Must be manually cleaned to remove ash
- In 2010 and newer engines
- Changes the exhaust to be less harmful
- Requires DEF fluid
4. Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regens
- Hot exhaust helps to clean your truck’s DPF
- If your DPF light is on, you must take action
- Drive engine hard to create an Active Regen (optional)
- If that doesn’t work, start a Parked Regen
- If that doesn’t work, take your truck in to be serviced
5. How Your Engine Impacts The DPF
- Maintain your whole engine regularly to avoid DPF problems
- If you have frequent problems with your DPF, check the rest of your engine for other issues
6. Money-Saving Maintenance
- Check your engine everyday for leaks & fluid use
- Make sure you know:
- Your truck’s routine maintenance schedule
- When your truck needs a clean diesel mechanic
- Fix any problems immediately!
7. DPF Cleanings & Replacements
DPF Cleanings and Replacements
Have a mechanic clean or replace DPF at least once a year
Make sure a mechanic:
- Checks the DOC and SCR for clogging
- Runs a Parked Regen
- Fills out DPF Cleaning History Sheet (for DPF Cleanings only)
Reconditioned & Aftermarket DPFs:
- Are cheaper
- May or may not work properly
Test Your Knowledge
ScRAPS Participant Voucher Program
For ScRAPS participants only:
If you are one of the first 100 ScRAPS participants to pass this test, you can receive a $500 coupon for a DPF cleaning.
Be sure to watch the videos carefully. This test can only be taken once per calendar month. For example, if you take the test in January and do not pass, you must wait until February to retake the test.
If you have questions please call 206-689-4057 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Puget Sound Clean Air Agency would like to thank everyone who helped to make these training videos possible, including the truck drivers seen in this video series, those who provided their technical expertise on heavy-duty truck maintenance, and the community members who assisted in translating these videos.
The Puget Sound Clean Air Agency does not endorse specific brands or products.
All the branded products that are shown in this video are provided as learning examples only and their inclusion in the video is not an implied endorsement by the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency.